Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Instant Gratification

Let’s talk cheesecake.
If you could have a piece of cheesecake now or in 48 hours, what would you choose?
Is this a hard decision for you? Because, personally, you can bet your precious tootsie rolls that I would want it pronto! Give me that slice of cheesecake! I've thought about that cheesecake, dreamed about how good that cheesecake will taste, and now I want that stinkin’ cheesecake! Not tomorrow. Now! 
I want instant gratification.

Such is so with my life. 

There are some things in my life right now that I just want to be on the fast-track plan. You know the plan I’m talking about. The plan of ease, minimal stress, minimal trust. The plan with little effort and maximum fulfillment. Where if you do this small thing, you will get this big reward. I want to do little preparation. I just want this life of mine to feel like it’s actually started! That I am actually being used in a very involved, helpful, and needed way! Let’s just get this show on the road!!! There’s no time like the present!

Yet, as much as I want my time to feel like it is being used in a very active way, I know that, at this moment in life, God is wanting me to invest my time towards my future. He wants me to be diligent in the small things.

An investment.

That, without a doubt, is not instantly gratifying.

But who said life was all about us and what we want right at this moment? Because it’s not. Whoever said that is dead wrong.

Our purpose is to bring the utmost glory to God in our own lives. Doing things that make us uncomfortable. Stepping out on faith. Putting yourself in a position where if God didn't come through, you would be in deep deep trouble. And on the flip side, maybe it's doing the things that you think no one even notices; trusting that God is using even the smallest things for His Kingdom purposes.

And if God wants invested time from me right now, I can think of nothing more glorifying than trusting and following His lead. Stepping off of the cliff and falling into His strong arms of grace and provision.

He knows my weaknesses. He knows my inadequacies. He knows my fears.
But the beauty of God and what He sees is that not only does He see us as we are (and still loves us) but he sees our potential. Our potential through Him and His transforming grace and overwhelming power.

No comments:

Post a Comment